Friday, October 30, 2015

Dag Hammarskjold

Dag Hjalmar Agne Carl Hammarskjöld (29 July 1905 – 18 September 1961) was a Swedish diplomat, economist, and author. The second Secretary-General of the United Nations, he served from April 1953 until his death in a plane crash in September 1961. At the age of 47 years, 255 days, Hammarskjöld is the youngest to have held the post. He is one of only four people to be awarded a posthumous Nobel Prize; Hammarskjöld is the only UN Secretary-General to die in office; his death occurred en route to cease-fire negotiations. US president John F Kennedy called Hammarskjöld "the greatest statesman of our century."
This is a prayer written by Hammarskjold:
You who are over us,
You who are one of us,
You who are also within us,
May all see You - in me also.
May I prepare the way for you,
May I thank you for all that shall fall to my lot.
May I also not forget the needs of others.
Give me a pure heart, that I may see You.
A humble heart,  that I may hear You.
A heart of love, that I may serve You.
A heart of faith, that I may abide in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment