Monday, June 10, 2013

The Magnificent Seven

Seven magnificent quarter horses
Exactly 8 years ago, just before I left the parish in John Day, I was invited by my friends Jim and Colleen Clark to visit their ranch where they raise quarter horses. They actually live 8 miles away from John Day, in the hamlet of Mount Vernon with some nice property for their many horse to roam around and pasture. All of the horses are spectacular to look at, and among the many photos I took, I was able to get the above photo, which I called the Magnificent Seven. This was before the digital age camera, so the quality is not the best, but these 7 quarter horse came over towards me on the order of their master Jim, and very gently lined themselves up for this unique photo opportunity, which has been one of my all-time favorites. 
Julian, a few days old, following his mother

Moreover, just before I left John Day, the Clarks named one of their horses Julian, born in late May 2005, and who has since been unfortunately castrated, so that he’ll be stronger and gentler, so I was told. Of course he could not be a daddy and have some fun like many other horses do. 


I also got the opportunity to ride one of the horses, a very gentle one, as I paraded with my grey cowboy hat, given to me by the Clarks. I had originally bought a black hat, to match my black outfit, but some people told me that only the bad guys wear black hats! 

No comments:

Post a Comment