Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Maternal Grandparents

                     Grandparents Paul and Rosina Scicluna, with their first 3 children
From time to time, I like to go back in time through some historical photos and introduce you to some members of my family. Today I chose to talk about my grandparents on my mother’s side, whom I remember very well. My grandfather Paul Scicluna was born in Valletta on February 16, 1908 and died on October 19, 1985. He was a well-known baker and worked with the famed Valletta bakers Bonaci and Café Cordina, until he opened his own baker shop next to our house in 1960. I remember him baking cheese-cakes, pastries and all kinds of delicacies, besides many a wedding cake, including my own parents’ cake in 1948. Even though in this picture he still had a full head of hair, I always remember him as bald as I am, and he was my godfather on my Confirmation day in 1959. My grandmother Rosina Galea was born in Nadur, Gozo on October 2, 1905 and died on June 19, 1995. She bore 6 children, and of course was always a housewife, especially during the war years which must have been tremendously uncomfortable, strenuous and unpredictable. In the above picture taken around 1933, they are seen with my mother Mary, probably aged 4, and two other uncles, Anthony and Joseph, who died in 1969. Three more children were to follow, Charles, Maggie and Marcel.
My confirmation in 1959 with my grandfather Paul as godfather

No comments:

Post a Comment