Monday, March 7, 2016

A healing prayer

I share with you today this beautiful prayer of healing and forgiveness, written by Saint Thomas Aquinas:
To you, o God, Fountain of Mercy, I come, a sinner. May you wash away my impurity.
O Sun of Justice, give sight to the blind.
O Eternal Healer, cure the wounded.
O King of Kings, restore the despoiled.
O Mediator of God and man, reconcile the sinful.
O Good Shepherd, lead back the straying.
O God, have pity on the wretched, show leniency to the guilty, bestow life on the dead, reform the impious, and give the balm of grace to the hard of heart.
O most merciful God, call back the one who flees, draw back the one who resists, lift up the one who falls, support the one who stands, and accompany the one who walks.
Do not forget those who forget you.
Do not desert those who desert you.
Do not despise those who sin against you.
For in sinning, I have offended you, my God;
I have harmed my neighbor;
I have not even spared myself injury.

I abandoned you Lord. I questioned your goodness by yielding to evil cravings and weakening myself with harmful fears. By such things I preferred to lose you rather than abandon what I desired, to offend you rather than face what ought not to be feared.
Out of my weakness I beg you to pay heed not to my iniquity, but rather to your immense goodness. And I beg you mercifully to pardon what I have done, granting me sorrow for my past actions and precaution in the future.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful and deep prayer - one that we could say as a nation in turning back to God....

    ReplyDelete